John Hyre

Posted on March 4, 2016 by

John HyreJohn Hyre is a tax attorney, accountant and real estate investor with 20 years of experience. He consults with real estate investors, small business owners and self-directed IRA/401k owners nationwide. He also represents taxpayers in audits and in Tax Court nationwide. He frequently speaks nationally on the topic of taxation of self-directed IRA’s/401k’s, taxation of real estate & small businesses, and asset protection. John invests in low-income single family houses, mostly in Columbus, Ohio.



  1. Nigel Miles says:

    Hi John,

    We met on the Captains of the Cruise event this year.

    I have a UK property that I would like to sell this year and am aware that the US will want their share of capital gains taxes as well as the UK !.

    Do you have any experience of working on such issues for expats.

    I retired from the London Fire Department in April 2013 and moved out to Sarasota in May 2013 with my american wife Cathy and have lived here since. I have made several flights to the UK to see family and stay in my house, when it was not being rented out.

    I had previously lived in my UK house with my wife Cathy for 7 years before we moved.

    I understand that there is a rule that allows exemption or allowance from capital gains tax if the house was your primary residence for the 2 years of the last 5 years, even if it was being rented out ?

    I would appreciate any help or assistance that you have regards this matter.


    Nigel Miles

Leave a Reply