Consistency – A Wholesalers Trusted AllyPosted on January 4, 2016 by
Admit it…this may be a familiar story to you. You learned about this money maker called wholesaling, did a few deals and made good money, celebrated and then told everyone how awesome this business is.
But then the dark time hit…
Leads dried up. Phone calls have slowed down. Market dynamics may have shifted. The list could be endless. Bottom line, all of the sudden the euphoria of making money quickly and easily has been replaced with concern and worry about what’s going on. All of a sudden your dreams coming true seem distant again and going the wrong direction…perhaps very quickly.
Or maybe the story goes like this… You learned about wholesaling and got excited about it. You did marketing one or two times, talked to a few people but nothing quite panned out. Maybe even three or four times. You got discouraged and decided this wasn’t for you.
These stories are relatively common for most wholesalers. This business has a way of ‘manipulating’ our thoughts in to thinking the good times can go on forever easily. The challenge is the good times never go on forever. There are roadblocks. There are problems. There are times where trying to get the simplest thing done feels like climbing Mt. Everest on your last ounce of energy.
However, problems are gifts. And one of the biggest gifts is the simple revelation that to overcome problems, consistency is one of your number one tools.
Consistency has a way of getting us through almost any challenge. As long as the techniques and strategy are proven to work, it is tough to go wrong by being consistent. How important is this? Consider:
- Marketing is the lifeblood of your business. Consistent marketing is much easier to fix than ‘start and stop’ or ‘random trying’ marketing.
- Networking is vital. Your network is your net worth is the common phrase and it is true. If you disappear from the networks where opportunity is abundant, you lose a key piece of your business potential. Consistently networking opens floods of opportunities.
- Follow up. The phrase is ‘the money is in the follow up’. Very true yet how many wholesalers talk to their leads once maybe twice never to follow up again? (answer: almost all of them) Consistent follow up will get you deals.
- Market awareness. The market is always in a state of flux and wholesaling is no different. Your ability to keep up with market trends at least quarterly is key to making sure you are putting together deals that make sense. Consistent knowledge of where the market is and going is vital.
- Ever heard of a one trick pony? No two Sellers or Buyers are the same and your ability to consistently learn more ways to make things happen make you more valuable to the people you serve. If you only do it the one way you learned in ‘class’, you will find your options limited very quickly. Consistently learn more daily.
The wholesale business at its core is a simple business. The tough part is doing the work not once or twice but consistently. Consider:
When times are tough, consistency gets us through it.
When the deal falls apart, consistency tells us there are plenty of more deals out there.
When a deal gets delayed as they often do, consistency keeps the pipeline flowing so no one deal is the bottleneck of business.
When we have success, consistency tells us we can repeat it to whatever degree we choose.
When we are consistent, systems can evolve for business to grow.
The phrase I hear often is ‘how we do anything is how we do everything’. This phrase banks on consistency being a key factor as to whether we succeed or fail. One more thing to remember is, it is much easier to fix a business practice, strategy or philosophy when someone is consistent at what they do than when these ideas are approached haphazardly. Dramatically easier.
Choose to be consistent as a wholesaler and success awaits you around the corner. Oftentimes, much sooner than you realize. Good luck!